World Asbestos Report News
Archives: June 2012
June 28, 2012 -- Former English electrician dies of malignant mesothelioma
An inquest in the UK heard recently that a former electrician who worked around asbestos-containing materials for much of his career passed away as a result of malignant mesothelioma, a rare form of cancer.
June 27, 2012 -- Asbestos found at Australian mining site
Metals and mining corporation Rio Tinto confirmed recently that asbestos has been discovered at its West Angeles mine site in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation reports.
June 26, 2012 -- Australian project halted again following asbestos find
Work on the $6 million Barangaroo development in New South Wales, Australia, has been halted for a second time after another discovery of asbestos at the Sydney foreshore site, The Australian reports.
The widow of a former Scottish university laboratory research technician who reportedly passed away as a result of malignant mesothelioma is encouraging her husband's former colleagues to come forward with evidence to help aid her battle for asbestos compensation.
Cases of malignant pleural mesothelioma (MPM) are virtually always linked to asbestos exposure - and even when they're not, clinicians often suspect it anyway. However, different kinds of exposure occur at different rates. By far the most common kind, occupational asbestos exposure occupies most of the mesothelioma-related headlines, yet several other types exist.
June 20, 2012 -- Asbestos ranks as leading cause of UK workplace deaths
A new report from the Health and Safety Executive, Britain's workplace safety agency, suggests that approximately 8,000 UK cancer deaths are linked to work, with asbestos one of the most prominent factors.
Several years ago, 67-year-old Harold Hart began having chest pains and difficulty breathing. After decades working as an electrician, he suspected it might have something to do with his history of asbestos exposure. Sadly, he was right.
June 13, 2012 -- Slime protects community from asbestos-lined water pipes
Airborne asbestos is extremely dangerous, even in small but regular amounts. Waterborne asbestos fibers, on the other hand, are different.
June 13, 2012 -- Asbestos removal from Welsh nursery to take months
The process to remove asbestos from a children's nursery housed in a Welsh college building will reportedly take "a period of months," according to a statement from a spokesman for the college.
June 11, 2012 -- UK man dies 50 years after initial exposure to asbestos
An 82-year-old man from Poole, England, who worked for a rubber company for a number of years passed away from malignant mesothelioma approximately five decades after he was first exposed to asbestos.
China is the world's leading purchaser and consumer of asbestos, according to the Center for Public Integrity (CPI). As such, in certain Chinese communities, the rates of asbestos exposure and consequent diseases (like malignant pleural mesothelioma) are unbelievably high.
June 7, 2012 -- Welsh university receives asbestos scare
Asbestos was discovered recently at Coleg Llandrillo in Rhos on Sea, Wales, during a routine survey, the North Wales Pioneer reports.
June 6, 2012 -- Asbestos discovery stops work on Australian building
Officials from Workplace Health and Safety Queensland recently ordered workers to stop working on a building in north Queensland, Australia, due to the potential discovery of asbestos.
An inquest in South Staffordshire, England, heard recently that a 73-year-old plumber and brewery worker died as a result of complications from asbestos exposure during his career, the Burton Mail reports.
June 4, 2012 -- Asbestos cleared from former Jamaican police station
The removal of asbestos from an abandoned police station in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica - a process that began in January - was finally completed recently, the Jamaica Observer reports.